Coursework: Ignite presentation learner response


1) Type up your feedback in full including the ratings out of five for each of the six categories. 

Research (through presentation AND blog)- 4/5

Music concept- 5/5 

Language: terminology and theory- 4/5

Representations- 4/5

Audience and Industry- 4/5

Delivery- 4/5

Total- 25/30

  • Good, clear opening- brilliant to get concept in first slides.
  • Superb, powerful narrative- but perhaps challenging to film/ communicate. Love the idea though!
  • Clear thought into camerawork and meanings. 
  • Using angle to communicate character+narrative excellent ideas.
  • Ground level angle really interesting too.
  • The photoshop idea is phenomenal including the meanings it creates.
  • Excellent application of representation theory- Van Zoonen and Gauntlett.
  • Presentation is clearly planned and rehearsed although a couple of slides continue on for a little too long (45 seconds perhaps?)
  • Audience strong- particularly in terms of the idea that mental health issues can affect anyone.
  • industry slightly rushed but minor criticism.
  • Q+A very confidently handled- very clear there is detailed research and planning here.


2) Use this feedback, comments from peers and your own reflection on your presentation to self-assess and write a detailed WWW and EBI for your own coursework concept and presentation as a whole.

WWW- I wanted to create a music video that was meaningful so that if I were to re watch it in 10 years time, I would be able to reminisce the great memories of the filming and editing process as well as the the affect I had on the audience from my choice of topic (mental health). I had many ideas for the music video but some were too tedious and the others were too ambitious. It's suffice to say, it was a very long process, (or at least it felt really long). But, finally I came up with an idea that I thought would not only communicate the topic of mental health but also present the song genre of pop and the artist herself. I chose this topic because especially in times like today where the world around us is constantly evolving/changing and there is A GLOBAL PANDEMIC, really has affected many people's mental health and so not only did I want to reflect this topic, but also current social changes that have affected the lives of many. I was really nervous about the presentation but I wanted to include all of the media language and representations so I spoke heavily upon these sections during the presentation. When preparing for the presentation I used lots of photos to ensure that it was engaging for the class and had lots of fun preparing it. During the Q+A section I believe that this was probably the most strongest part of the whole procedure. With the questions presented by Mr Halsey and the class, I was able to clarify how I was going to create this digital painting and explain the narrative better. I chose this song because I really connected with it when I sang it in a concert and so I knew this would be the perfect song, furthermore my passion and determination for the whole project was what I wanted to portray through the presentation. 

EBI- However, throughout this process there were lots of difficulties too. One of them being choosing the concept. Although I had some great ideas, some of them were not achievable due to the current situations and the implications caused by it. I wanted to film in places like London and use angles such as the ground level angle but it may not have been safe to film there and also due to lockdown, there may have been a lack of people on the streets. Also, right in the beginning I was a little hesitant on what to do and how it was all going to turn out but I guess you've got to start somewhere. Secondly, when preparing the presentation, it was very difficult to fit everything I wanted to say to the point where I wrote my 'script' on flashcards which sort of led the entire presentation transitioning from a relaxed sort conversation type presentation to a formal speech. Due to this, I practiced a lot to ensure that I was making it as natural as possible whilst also including everything I wanted to say. Thirdly, I tried to 'hack' the system which overall was a success but when presenting due to nerves which are inevitable and an overload of information that I wanted to include, my timings were a bit off towards the end of the presentation. The industry section was a little rushed and there were some occasional 'umms' when I acknowledged the fact that the timings were off. It's safe to say, with a bit more practise I think I could have bettered my timings but overall I got to say what i wanted to say especially during the Q+A session.

3) Write a paragraph discussing how your presentation will lead into your actual coursework production. Do you need to update your statement of intent? Does your concept/treatment offer enough clarity? Is it appropriate for the audience specified in the brief? Is it achievable to film in the midst of a global pandemic? Can you add media terminology or theory to your statement of intent now you have reflected on your presentation and seen others?

I believe that my concept is great and really deep however, as I am filming in two locations, in the treatment I just explain what the characters do in those locations, so I am going to include a bit more detail in the treatment for example through explaining mise-en-scene better. I definitely need to update my statement of intent because I might be adding more locations or changing the shots I use and the music video is appropriate for the audience specified in the brief as pop is a mainstream genre and I convey that through the use of pop music video conventions in my video. I think it is achievable to film in the midst of a global pandemic because London is just a general term and so it doesn't entirely mean Central London. Although I hope to film in Central London, if there were the case of any complications due to the pandemic, then I would have to consider plan B being filming in my local area. I will also add details on mise-en-scene to the statement of intent and explain how the magazine will aid in the promotion of the artist and also do a bit more research into the potential record company that will suit the genre and artist. 








Comments

Popular Posts