TV: Assessment LR

TV assessment feedback:

WWW: This is an absolutely stunning essay – wow! I enjoyed reading this so much. Your understanding of and engagement with the two TV CSPs is clearly superb and you make excellent reference to both texts. I appreciate that a response of this length and detail won’t be possible in 35 minutes in an exam situation but producing something of this depth and quality can only help you with extended exam writing too. You should be extremely proud of this essay!

EBI: The key areas I would suggest we need to focus on are the technical construction of your essays and your overall question focus. There is no doubt that you address the question of realism but I feel there are many places where you could bring your discussion back to the question of realism and therefore improve the overall focus of the essay. For example, where you discuss postmodernism in D83 (and the supermarket scene) you could discuss whether this has a negative impact on the realism but offers audience pleasures of a different kind (therefore perhaps providing an argument that realism is NOT a vital component of TV drama). Similarly, your discussion of the romanticised portrayal of the working classes in both dramas could have been brought back to the question of realism. Surely this is political rather than realistic? A fetishisation of working class life rather than an accurate portrayal.

Finally, a minor technical point – try and use some of the wording from the question in each topic sentence so every paragraph starts with the question in focus. You do this on several occasions but there are also a few paragraphs that start more generally or launch straight into some analysis. Remember to keep that sharp question focus!

There is so much to your essay I could discuss it all day but I think question focus and topic sentences are enough to be working on for now. Well done again!


Reflecting on your assessment, what key concepts and theories do you most need to revise for the TV CSPs before your next Media exam? How will you do this?

I need to go over Baudrillard and Jameson's theories as well as key concepts such as bricolage and pastiche. I think I could also benefit from going over Gramsci's hegemony theory and try to apply these theories and terms to the CSP better. I will improve by re-watching the CSP and really keeping a close eye on key scenes where theories can be applied. I will then go over the flashcards for these theories and key concepts. Finally, I will practice exam questions to test my knowledge. 

Comments

Popular Posts